Saturday, September 25, 2010

Birthday Princess

September 24, 2010
My baby girl turned five!  WOW!!!
I'm not sure how I feel about that, but we tried to make her day very special.
Here is what we did.

She had school so we took cupcakes to share with her class and she wore her very favorite outfit and a brand new tiara.
For dinner she wanted hamburgers so we tried this new place.  It was SO GOOD.  Best burger I think I have ever had, ever.
 Kelsey thought one of the bus boys that worked there was cute.  She said, "I like his face.  It is cute."  I wanted to take a picture of the boy but I didn't dare.  I am such a coward, he probably wouldn't have cared.  I just thought it was funny that my little girl is already noticing boys.  This may mean trouble.
 Opening presents was her favorite part of the day, of course.

September 25, 2010
The Party
Kelsey loves Sleeping Beauty and thinks that she IS Princess Aurora.
The invitation, so cute, said, "Once Upon A Dream the three fairies bestowed upon Princess Kelsey a magical birthday celebration with all of her best friends.  Please make this dream come true and join the fun."

So I made this cake:
Not easy to decorate.  The towers were leaning and I felt like the green fairy in sleeping beauty who tried to make a cake and was struggling to keep it from falling over.  I wished that I had a magic wand to magically make it all better.  But it turned out ok, after two hours of stressful work.
Oh, and I love how the princess is as big as the towers.
 I also stayed up into the wee hours of the morning making this cardboard castle (which was a huge hit).
That's right: Spit, Grit, and a whole lotta duct tape.
I would have loved to have painted it white with purple trim and lots of sparkley glitter.
But that would have taken an entire extra day of work.
 After playing for a little while we went into the kitchen to make princess hats.
The two boys (Ethan and his friend Matthew) made shields.

 I think they turned out quite darling.  Or maybe just the girls are darling and anything looks good on them.

 Next, the kids were required to go treasure hunting.  I told them that the three fairies had hidden some treasures for them.  They each had to find 3 bags, one pink bag(from the pink fairy), one green bag (from the green fairy), and one blue bag (from the blue fairy).  The two boys had to find one blue bag, and a sword.
The pink bag was the "gift of beauty" and inside was a princess crown and some lip gloss.  The green bag was the "gift of song" and inside was a little horn.  The blue bag was the "gift of true love's first kiss" and inside was hershey kisses.
Then we all had some lunch

And played a little more.
 Opened presents
 And sang "Happy Birthday"

 I think everyone had a lot of fun.  It was one of my most succesfull parties, which may be due to the fact that the kids were a little older than in times past.

Happy Birthday Kelsey
We sure love you.


5 comments:

Steven and Kimberly said...

Really 5? Really?? When did our girls do that? I can't believe it. It looks like they had so much fun. I am always amazed at your cakes and your creativity! You are amazing. I am having the hardest time thinking my little girl is 5 also, but she is getting more fun too and more of a help, but we can stop at 5, NO MORE GROWING. Yeah, good luck with that.

Michael and Natalia said...

Wow, Andrea. You outdid yourself! Everything looks awesome; and sounds like it was a ton of fun! I know, I've told you before, but you are my inspiration when it comes to birthday parties. I may steal the princess castle idea for Destiny's party, if she doesn't go with sports.

Happy birthday to Kelsey! Way to go, Mom and Dad!

Liz said...

You do awesome parties, we wish we could have been there;)

JessicaNicole said...

What a good mommy! The princess is a teeeny bit smaller than the towers, in your defense, I just hope that she doesn't have to live in one of them! ;)

Trina said...

Wow! What an awesome party! So cute!!! Perfect party for a 5 year old! YOu do the cutest things for your kids! What a fun mom! Kelsey is adorable!