Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Read-a-thon

Most of the things that I do with the kids are ideas that I get from my mom, friends, or the internet.  This time I thought of something on my own.  I woke up one morning and thought, "I want to have a read-a-thon with my kids today."  I loved read-a-thons in elementary school.  So we popped popcorn, got out all of our valentines sweets, grabbed special drinks, pillows, and blankets and cozied up on Ethan's bedroom floor.  I got down every book we own and let the kids take turns picking a book for me to read to them.  It lasted for about an hour and a half! 



Towards the end the kids started to read some of their favorites to me.  That was my favorite part.  To hear their version of the stories that I have read them over and over and over.  Here are some of their favorites that they practically have memorized.


We had a fun time and it is an activity that I highly reccomend.  It is a perfect rainy day activity and I know we will be doing this again.

5 comments:

melissa said...

What a great, fun idea! Thanks for sharing.

Michael and Natalia said...

This is something my kids LOVE doing, too! What a good idea to read during the day, and not only before naps/bed-time. Thanks for sharing!

Christy said...

oh my gosh i forgot about read a thons! those were so fun! What a cute idea!

JessicaNicole said...

I LOVED read-a-thons! How fun!

Christensen Family said...

I'm stealing this idea for when Willow gets older. WAY fun.