Friday, October 8, 2010

Ethan

Ethan is a darn stubborn individual.  Matt says, "of course he is, he is just like you!"  This may be true.  He refuses to submit if he believes he is being controlled.  I have found two things useful in dealing with him.  First, reverse psychology. 
"Ethan, please do not eat your dinner." 
"But Mom, I am a little bit hungry"
"Ok, fine but only have a little bit"

or

"Ethan, I want you to stand here and scream as loud as you can for as long as you can."

Second, I always try to give him some kind of choice.
Instead of, "Ethan, it is quiet time you need to be in your room for one hour."  I say, "Would you rather read books or play cars for quiet time."

Yesterday when he was being particularly stubborn it occured to me how just how much he values agency.  I imagined to myself what kind of great warrior he was in the pre-existance for the cause of Christ.  There was NO WAY he was even close to siding with Satan and his plan to take away our agency.  This idea made me happy and proud of my son.  I imagined that perhaps he and I (and our stubborn natures) fought alongside each other to persuade our brothers and sisters how important it is to have our agency and to be able to choose for ourselves.
What a good boy I have!!!

 

1 comments:

JessicaNicole said...

He is a darn cute stubborn boy! And I laughed at the "Ethan, I want you to stand there and scream" part. Its funny cause I can really imagine you saying that. I'm excited to see you guys soooon!